NFL Hall of Fame Finalists Dan Leberfeld
15 Modern-Era Finalists
for Hall of Fame Election Announced
CANTON, OHIO – Four first-year eligible nominees – Derrick Brooks, Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison, and Walter Jones – are among the 15 modern-era finalists who will be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when the Hall’s Selection Committee meets in New York City on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014.
Joining the first-year eligibles, are 10 other modern-era players and a contributor. The 15 modern-era finalists, along with the two senior nominees announced in August 2013 (former Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders punter, Ray Guy and Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey) will be the only candidates considered for Hall of Fame election when the 46-member Selection Committee meets.
The 15 modern-era finalists were determined by a vote of the Hall’s Selection Committee from a list of 126 nominees that earlier was reduced to a list of 25 semifinalists, during the multi-step, year-long selection process. Guy and Humphrey were selected as senior candidates by the Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee. The Seniors Committee reviews the qualifications of those players whose careers ended more than 25 years ago.
To be elected a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee’s 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees*) with their positions, teams, and years active follow:
· Morten Andersen, Kicker – 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
· Jerome Bettis, Running Back – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
· Derrick Brooks, Linebacker – 1995-2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
· Tim Brown, Wide Receiver/Kick Returner/Punt Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/ Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
· Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
· Tony Dungy, Coach – 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts
· Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
· *Ray Guy, Punter – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
· Charles Haley, Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
· Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver – 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts
· *Claude Humphrey, Defensive End – 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles
· Walter Jones, Tackle – 1997-2008 Seattle Seahawks
· John Lynch, Free Safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
· Andre Reed, Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
· Will Shields, Guard – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
· Michael Strahan, Defensive End – 1993-2007 New York Giants
· Aeneas Williams, Cornerback/Safety – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams
Although they have been nominees in previous years, this is the first time that Morten Andersen and John Lynch have been finalists.